Erythromycin belongs in a group of drugs called macrolide antibiotics. Macrolide antibiotics slow the growth of, or sometimes kill, sensitive bacteria by reducing the production of important proteins needed by the bacteria to survive.
What Are The Contraindictions Of Althrocin Tablet?
You should not take erythromycin if you are allergic to it.
Some medicines can cause unwanted or dangerous effects when used with erythromycin. Your doctor may need to change your treatment plan if you use any of the following drugs:
- ergotamine; or
- To make sure erythromycin is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- liver or kidney disease;
- myasthenia gravis;
- a heart rhythm disorder;
- an electrolyte imbalance (such as low levels of potassium or magnesium in your blood);
- a history of Long QT syndrome; or
- if you take medicine to treat a heart rhythm disorder.
FDA pregnancy category B. Erythromycin is not expected to harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment.
What Are The Side Effects Of Althrocin Tablet?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to erythromycin: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- headache with chest pain and severe dizziness, fainting, fast or pounding heartbeats;
- hearing problems (rare);
- liver problems--nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, tired feeling, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- severe skin reaction--fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Older adults may be more likely to have serious side effects from erythromycin, including hearing loss, or a life-threatening fast heart rate.
Common erythromycin side effects may include:
- mild diarrhea; or
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, loss of appetite.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.